Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein is an award winning Selfie Filmmaker, Positive Psychologist and podcaster who helps us overcome anxiety and alienation through multiple media channels.
WILMINGTON, NC, January 24, 2021 /24-7PressRelease/ — According to The American Psychological Association’s 2020 Stress In America Survey, we are experiencing a “national mental health crisis”. Small wonder, as 2020 gave us a pandemic, racial and social unrest akin to the 1960’s, record unemployment and business closings and, as the icing on the proverbial cake, a seditious attack on the US government the likes of which has not been seen since 1812. Is there any possibility that we can recover? Positive Psychologist and award winning film maker Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein believes we can. Dr. Holstein comments:
“As I watched in horror the breach of our sacred Capitol building in Washington, on January 6th, 2021, I was shocked beyond words. As I have begun to process this terrible devastation I’ve begun to realize how fragile democracy can be if the people who are privileged to live in a democracy don’t fully understand how it operates and aren’t willing to be part of the democratic experience.
“As a practicing psychologist of many years, with an emphasis on the positive in life, and as a filmmaker in recent years, I can talk to you from those two perspectives about some of what it takes to live in harmony in a democracy that is also in a pandemic. Here are some of the steps we must take:
1. Understand the psychological, social and medical needs of our young and provide education and a safe environment for them in every aspect of their lives. That includes home, neighborhood, schooling, daycare, etc.
2. Provide mental health care for all of our citizens when needed.
3. Teach democracy, as a serious subject, all through the educational process.
4. Protect our climate and the earth so life can perpetuate.
“For many of us, the above list can appear to be overwhelming. That’s okay, because as a psychologist I can say to you, ‘you don’t have to do all of it’ In fact, you don’t have to do much. All you have to do is stay aware of your talents, strengths and potential and learn to create positive purpose in your own life. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
1. What are my talents?
2. What are my strengths?
3. What is my potential?
4. What would it take for me to start to follow my dream?
5. What can I do to serve humanity and myself just a bit more?
“Here are a few more suggestions, all based on positive psychology and the practice of good mental health.
1. A guide to the ‘Seven Gateways to Happiness’ can be found at https://www.amazon.com/Seven-Gateways-Happiness-Barbara-Holstein-eboo … 913&sr=1-4. It may be a very helpful start for you, as you can focus on anyone of the Seven Gateways to get going.
2. Become a Pandemic Historian or a smart phone filmmaker during these turbulent times. Take your phone and interview people about how they are processing and living through the pandemic. Or just use your phone to lighten people’s lives. Maybe you are making a short skit to upload to YouTube or TicTok or just to share with your family. Let me know if you upload to YouTube, as I may also be able to show off your work on www.selfiefilmmakers.com
3. If you really want to understand how we integrate our past into positive dreams and outcomes of our present and future, then I suggest you read my book ‘THE ENCHANTED SELF, A Positive Therapy.
4. Resilience is the name of the game. It is what you must latch onto when you are down and when you have to remake some aspect of your life, often out of the blue. Abraham Lincoln comes to me as a great example: A few weeks after the death of his beloved son he had to get up, put on his boots and take his oath.
5. Look in the mirror at yourself. You are your best destiny. No one else alive has exactly your talents or abilities. Live up to them. After all everyone else is taken!”
Here’s what’s new in the Enchanted Self world: Many more wins for Dr. Holstein’s Films, bringing the number of selections or awards at festivals to over 100.
The Pandemic interviews continue, done by Julia Gesner, a freshman in college, who will be making a documentary based on these interviews. A couple can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCAL8Ei2xuQ.”
Dr. Holstein continues to branch out into the world of Zoom as some of her new film scripts are performed on the Zoom during the pandemic as dramatic readings.
Dr. Holstein continues to cheer up the world with her friend and producer of her films, Debbie Storz Higgins in their Old Time Radio show on Facebook and YouTube. You can find these shows on Vimeo at https://vimeo.com/showcase/6832893. These videos are also available on Roku and Amazon Fire.
Month after month for the last few years Dr. Holstein has been winning award after award for her “selfies as drama” conceptual films – over 100 to date. These are not just selfie films. They have at their core positive psychology principles that only Dr. Holstein can bring to the table.
Dr. Holstein’s cutting-edge presentations, most recently based on the Covid-19 pandemic issues, can be found on both YouTube, Vimeo and on the Roku channel and Amazon Fire TV, titled as ‘The Enchanted Self Presents’.
Dr. Holstein recently created The Selfie Showcase, a new project emerging from The Selfie Project, that allows young people to voice their opinions on subjects that matter to young people. She is now accepting submissions from the public for the “Selfie Showcase” and is actively seeking change-makers and mental health professionals to appear on her monthly video podcasts.
The Selfie Showcase allows kids, teens, and young adults ages 13 to 18 to candidly express their concerns, worries, observations and possible solutions by creating selfie videos or films around important subjects, using a smartphone. Dr. Holstein’s mission is to help rectify, in several ways, some of the issues young people face by giving them a chance to engage with others in meaningful ways about the anxiety and stress they must grapple with constantly.
Selected participants may appear on the Selfie Project Channel, available on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3uaOTcYF70z5CpBh11VoUQ. They will also appear in the Selfie Showcase on SelfieFilmmakers.com. They will receive a certificate of merit and may be invited to be on Holstein’s monthly podcast or perhaps be a part of her next film. Full details, rules for submission and helpful hints can be accessed at the Selfie Filmmakers site at http://www.selfiefilmmakers.com/instructions.
Dr. Holstein’s unique Selfie Films have taken many awards and have been shown in many film festivals and competitions. A full list can be found at SelfieFilmmakers.com.
Holstein’s podcast series is actively seeking change-makers and visionaries to appear on her monthly podcasts. Dr. Holstein hopes to feature members of traditional media, mental health professionals and educators who can make a real difference in the lives of young people. Many of the podcasts feature young people – to give them a voice regarding their concerns and their solutions. Guests, if accepted, can arrange to appear by contacting Dr. Holstein directly.
Dr. Holstein is available for media interviews and can be reached using the information below or by email at [email protected]. More information about the Selfie Showcase is available at http://www.selfiefilmmakers.com. Selfie videos and selfie films can be uploaded at http://www.selfiefilmmakers.com. Potential podcast guests can contact Dr. Holstein by email. More information is available at her primary website at http://www.enchantedself.com.
Dr. Barbara Becker Holstein, internationally known Positive Psychologist is the creator of The Enchanted Self ®, a positive psychology method for happiness and a pioneer in Selfies as Film. Dr. Holstein’s Enchanted Self website was included as one of the best websites in positive psychology. She is in private practice in Long Branch, New Jersey with her husband, Dr. Russell M. Holstein.
Dr. Barbara can be found on the web, interviewed, writing articles and posting video ‘TED’ style talks on Happiness, Positive Psychology, Relationships and Parenting. Her RoKu channel is: The Enchanted Self Presents.
She has been a contributor to Your Tango, Heart and Soul, The Philadelphia Inquirer, Honey Good, Cosmopolitan Magazine, Redbook, Real Simple, Women’s World, The Wall Street Journal, Psychcentral.com, Time on line, the Today Show and Family Circle Magazine.
For the original version of this press release, please visit 24-7PressRelease.com here